9 SKILLS WORKSHOP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading fun

+3
Misty
Terri
Richard
7 posters

Go down

Reading fun Empty Reading fun

Post by Richard Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Skill: Reading

Resource: https://www.eslfast.com

Description: Short stories for kids.

Usefulness: This site has hundreds of graded readers rated from between A1 and advanced into about ten levels. An option allows for an audio rendition of the text. This function is useful so the students can hear the stories read in an American accent. The topics of the stories are neither trivial nor absurd, for example longevity, so I expect they might encourage some interesting conversation practice after reading.

Last edited by Richard on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Reading fun Empty Re: Reading fun

Post by Terri Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks Richard. I really enjoyed using this resource with my young learners. I especially liked the "Super Easy Reading" story, A Long Live, it sparked some great discussion about healthy lifestyle!
Terri
Terri

Back to top Go down

Post by Misty Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks Richard, but I found these stories mostly too short.
Misty
Misty

Back to top Go down

Post by tina_lumenta Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Thank you for the link Richard. It is very useful to expand our knowledge and it is pleasure to read.
tina_lumenta
tina_lumenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 pm

tina_lumenta wrote:Thank you for the link Richard. It is very useful to expand our knowledge and it is pleasure to read.
Yep, lot's of thoughtful stories. Thanks for taking a look.
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by GregM Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:48 pm

As Misty mentioned, they tend to be short, so may not be able to serve the same extended reading purposes as a short story assigned over a longer period of time. However, I see their brevity (appx. 300 words each) as an advantage for application to in-class reading or listening tasks; for example, timed intensive reading or scanning, or listening for gist. The results of such tasks could then be used as language input for an expansion task.
GregM
GregM

Back to top Go down

Post by eta_dwi Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm

it is very useful to gain our knowledge and to spread out the message that reading is one of the skills that students have to achieve in language learning process. thanks Mr. Richard
eta_dwi
eta_dwi

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02 pm

I find the link is very useful because the reading materials are divided into levels, from beginners to advanced. And there are lots of stories in each level. Therefore, we can easily pick any stories we want to use in the class. I would like it even more if the stories came with pictures, though:) Thank you, Richard.
eva
eva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down